Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thanks for the $600!

Well, didn't we all get fabulous news today! I am excited about tax season as it is. I know I'll be getting a sizeable return this year that is really going to help me get the credit cards paid off. This $600 is going to be even better. Ever since reading the article on MSN, I have been daydreaming about what I will do with the $600.



My first thought was to put the whole damn thing to the Discover card. I love that that was my first thought. Of course, what I do with the $600 will be highly dependent on what I get for a tax return. I plan on putting at least half of the return to the credit cards. If the two store cards are not paid off by the time I get the return, I will put the money there first. But, there are a few things I would like to be able to do that deal with vacation or taking some time off. If I am able use half of the tax return for the credit card and save enough to be able to take a small vacation or two (I travel cheap too), then the whole $600 will go to the credit cards. If not, I will still put at least half of it to credit cards.



I am hoping to be able to put at least $1500 toward the credit card debt and save about $1000 for the year for vacations. I'll be posting real soon about the vacation planning and how I'm going to cheapen that out. That just means I need to start praying for a $1900 tax return. We'll see. I have the preliminary meeting with the tax guy on Tuesday. It's my dad's CPA so I'm hoping he cuts me a break in fees. Regardless, he is really good and my dad assures me anything that I pay in fees will come back to me in found money for the return. More on that later. For now, I have to go to the tax rebate happy dance with jazz hands and a fan kick finish.

3 comments:

People in the Sun said...

Of course, you're not alone finding yourself spending the entire sum on a little nibble on a debt. It's the entire country that will cash the check, then put it back where it belongs: in the hands of Bank of America.

Matt said...

I think it's awesome that you want to put the money on debt. I will also be doing that, but I am totally gung-ho about getting out of debt. I find it funny that this is a "stimulus package" designed to give people money so they will spend it on things, and there are people like you and I who will just use it to get out of debt. In the end though, we'll be the people who are REALLY able to stimulate the economy! :)

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

Did you get the money already??